Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,518 pages of information and 233,949 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Holborn Viaduct railway station opened on the 2nd March 1874 as an additional terminus for the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LC&DR).
The station was on a 292-yard branch from the Ludgate-Farringdon line, with a hotel as part of its frontage opening onto Holborn Viaduct.
The station was adjacent to Holborn Viaduct station and was renamed Holborn Viaduct Low Level in 1912
1916 closed on 1 June when passenger services through the tunnel were discontinued. Holborn Viaduct became the terminus for passenger services from the south of London into the City.
1929 The short distance between Holborn Viaduct and Blackfriars (approximately 700 yards) also led to the intermediate station at Ludgate Hill being closed in 1929.
In the mid 1980s, Snow Hill tunnel was restored as a north-south rail link through central London. Services to and from Holborn Viaduct were gradually run down as part of this plan; the station closed on 26 January 1990. The station buildings were demolished and replaced by what is now called City Thameslink station nearby.