James Cox and Son
Furniture maker of High Wycombe
1850 Established as Cox, Hussey & Barrett about 1850 in Three Tuns Yard
Moved to West End as Cox & Hussey
1865 Partnership dissolved. The business was carried on by James Cox until 1880. Cox had been a traveller for Thomas Harris (West Wycombe) and Skull’s.
1870 Employed 150.
1880 the business became Cox & Son. Showrooms at 24 Finsbury Pavement. Exports to Australia & New Zealand. "Art Chair Makers & upholsterers". Old saw mills in Bridge Street converted to separate company and used for cabinet work.
1881 Exhibited at Furniture Exhibition at Agricultural Hall, London.
1890s "No firm of higher reputation or greater importance".
1891 James Cox died at 77
1935 Business records continued to this date
Sources of Information
- Furniture Makers of High Wycombe