Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Joicey and Co, colliery owners, of 29/31 Quay, Newcastle upon Tyne.
1828 George Joicey and (presumably) his brother James invested in a colliery at Tanfield Moor.
The company was first known as J. and G. Joicey and Company
After 1829 the colliery business became known as James Joicey and Co.
1838 Purchased the South Tanfield Colliery. Afterwards acquired the Twizell, Tanfield Lea, and East Tanfield Collieries. Then the firm sank three pits at West Pelton and Handen Hold.
1838 The youngest brother, John Joicey, joined the business
At some point James's other brother, Edward Joicey, as well as John Joicey became partners.
c.1855 George Joicey died.
1863 James junior, son of George, joined the business
1867 James junior was offered a partnership by his uncle James
By c.1865 John Joicey was the sole surviving senior partner
1881 James junior succeeded his uncle, John, as head of the business.
1886 James Joicey and Co was formed into a limited company; owned several collieries.
1890 of King St, Newcastle.
1893 James junior was made a baronet. The business was run by Sir James Joicey, Major William J. Joicey, Joseph Thompson and John Thompson.
1922 J. Joicey and Co was at Dean Street, Newcastle-on-Tyne.