Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Foster (1758-1827)

From Graces Guide
Revision as of 08:31, 7 December 2016 by Ait (talk | contribs) (Ait moved page John Foster (1758–1827) to John Foster (1758-1827) without leaving a redirect)

John Foster (1758-1827) was an English engineer

1786 Birth of son John Foster (1786-1846)

He was Senior Surveyor to the Corporation of Liverpool succeeding Henry Berry.

In the early 1820s he was responsible for the extensive remodelling of Liverpool's Blue Coat School, adding the curved wall and new chapel to the rear.

In 1824 he was succeeded as Senior Surveyor by his son while Jesse Hartley replaced him as dock engineer at Liverpool Dock Trustees.

During his time as dock engineer, Foster completed only one dock (Prince's Dock, Liverpool).

He also converted Manchester Basin to an enclosed dock (Manchester Dock) and expanded several other docks including George’s Dock and Queen's Dock. The warehouse at King's Dock was built by Foster

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information