Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,487 pages of information and 233,925 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Fourth Avenue, Bushbury, Wolverhampton.
c.1795 John Shaw went into business (at the age of 13)
John Shaw apparently operated from premises in George Street.
1815 Shaw went into partnership with Henry Crane, as Shaw and Crane.
1848 The partnership split up, Shaw continuing in George Street and Crane setting up on his own account in Darlington Street. The firm was now called John Shaw and Sons.
c.1852 Shaw acquired premises at 64 Church Lane, manufacturing pots, pans and coffin plates, and probably other things, as well as continuing to act as a factor.
1858 John Shaw died; two of his sons, T. W. Shaw and Mr. E. D. Shaw, merchants, carried on the business of John Shaw & Sons, in Church Lane.
When Edward and Thomas Shaw died the firm was converted into two limited liability companies:
The business expanded, selling other firm's products and increasing their own range through acquisition.
1896 Acquired J. and W. Hawkes of Birmingham (established 1831)
1899 Acquired William and Henry Bate of Wolverhampton (established 1849)
1906 Acquired Onions and Co, Birmingham
1919 Incorporated as a public limited company
1939 Acquired the factory at Bushbury which had been built for Clyno Engineering Co but had been empty since the company failed.
Early 1950s acquired by Moore and Wright