Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,439 pages of information and 233,876 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Wilson Jameson

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 08:31, 10 September 2015 by SharronN (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

John Wilson Jameson (c1880-1942)

1943 Obituary [1]

JOHN WILSON JAMESON received his technical education during 1893 and 1894 at Heriot Watt College, Edinburgh, and served his apprenticeship with the West End Engine Works Company from 1894 to 1898, also for a short period with Messrs. John Brown and Company, Glasgow. From 1899 to 1903 he sailed in ships of the Hall Line, rising to be third engineer, and during this period he obtained his Board of Trade First-Class Engineer's Certificate. For the next five years he was consecutively shift engineer at the Edinburgh, Ayr, and Leith Corporation Electric Works. He then became assistant mechanical and electrical engineer to Messrs. J. and P. Coats's mills at Oporto, and was later promoted to be chief engineer with control generally over the entire engineering and constructional side of the property.

Being anxious to help in the war effort, he resigned this post in 1915 and on returning to England was appointed assistant manager of a cartridge factory at Woolwich Arsenal. An engagement as general works manager with Dictograph Telephones, Ltd., followed in 1919. After this extensive and varied experience he became a partner in a firm of building and electrical contractors in London, from 1925 until 1927, when he became sole partner. His final appointment dated from 1930, when he entered the service of H.M. Office of Works as a superintendent of structural works, and held that position until his death, which occurred at High Wycombe on 20th June 1942, in his sixtieth year.

Mr. Jameson was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1917.

See Also


Sources of Information