Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 149,267 pages of information and 234,239 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of Kynoch
1904 Hayden were motorcycles produced for F. Hayden of Cheltenham, by Kynochs of Birmingham. A machine was built that used the frame as a fuel tank. The tubes were larger in diameter than normal, and the oil was carried in a reservoir by the bottom bracket. It had braced forks and a simple form of plunger rear suspension. It was fitted with a vertically mounted Simms 2.75hp engine with magneto and FN carburettor. The drive to the rear wheel was by belt. At least two examples of the machine were constructed.
For several years there was no more mention of Kynoch motorcycles.
1913 Only JAP engines were used, either a 4hp single or a 6hp twin, driving a Sturmey-Archer three-speed hub gear. The machine had belt final drive and the single was also listed with direct-belt drive.
1920 Invested in downstream outlets for their products in the aircraft and motor sectors: holdings were acquired in John Marston Ltd, the manufacturers of the world famous Sunbeam cycles and motorcycles as well as radiators and radiator tubes, Amac Ltd. of Aston (motorcycle carburettors) and Excelsior Motor Radiator Co. Ltd. of Leeds (aircraft radiators) .