Laycock Engineering Co
of Victoria Works, Archer Road, Millhouses, Sheffield, general engineers and manufacturer of components for the motor trade including Layrub universal joint.
1913-15 Made a number of 35hp trucks.
1924 The W. S. Laycock company was subject to proceedings for bankruptcy
At some point W. S. Laycock became Laycock Engineering Co
Developed garage equipment, and began supply of gearboxes, front and rear axles, etc.
1934 Manufactured the Layrub universal coupling, originally developed for road vehicles, under licence from the American patentees.
1935 Having been reorganised and brought into a profitable state, the company was acquired by London financial interests. A public company of similar name was incorporated to acquire the business
1937 Engine accessory manufacturers.
1938 Agreement with Tecalemit Ltd to manufacture and supply garage equipment that had previously been obtained from outside suppliers; Tecalemit would take over the marketing of Laycock garage equipment
1939 Layrub propeller shafts (see advert)
1939 Laycock continued as a holding company to hold the shares allocated under the merger.
1944 Advert for a Propeller Shaft for diesel traction. 'A Birfield Company'.
1948 Laycock-Neale air pressure braking system (see advert)
1949 Laycock garage equipment for the motor trade (see advert)
1950 Laycock-de Normanville overdrive system manufactured under licence from Auto Transmissions Ltd (see advert)
1952 Name changed to Laycock Engineering - dropped the 'Co'
Note: the Layrub products continue to be made see Twiflex
Sources of Information
- Complete Encyclopedia of Commercial Vehicles. Edited by G. N. Georgano
- The Times, Jul 25, 1930
- The Times Dec 23, 1935
- The Times, Nov 03, 1938
- The Times, 23 December 1938
- Automobile Engineer: 1965/04
- 1937 The Aeroplane Directory of the Aviation and Allied Industries
- The Modern Diesel edited by Geoffrey Smith. Published by Iliffe & Sons 1944