Lee Lathrop Murray
Lee Lathrop Murray (1865-1928)
1928 Obituary 
LEE LATHROP MURRAY was born at Ararat, Victoria, in 1865, and was educated at Wesley College, Melbourne and Melbourne University.
In 1887 he entered the Victorian Railway survey department and in the following year joined Messrs. Bloomfield Brothers as chief constructional engineer, and carried out the building of the railway line from Terang to Mortlake.
In 1892, after a trip to England, Europe, and America, he became the Australian representative of Messrs. Siemens Brothers, for whom he superintended the installation of the Hobart tramways, the electricity supply scheme for Launceston, and a large amount of mining machinery.
In 1900 he became manager for the outside department at Messrs. Siemens' Woolwich works, but two years later went to South Africa as their representative and carried out, amongst other large contracts, the equipment of the tramway scheme at Johannesburg.
In 1906 he became manager of the dynamo works of Messrs. Siemens at Stafford.
In 1908 he severed his connexion with the firm and became managing director for Messrs. Bruce, Peebles and Company of Edinburgh, placing the firm upon a sound basis.
Having achieved this he commenced private practice in London in 1912 in conjunction with Mr. H. D. Wilkinson and acted in a consulting and inspecting capacity for the State Electricity Commission of Victoria in the great Morwell brown coal scheme, for the Adelaide Municipal Tramways Trust, the Government of Tasmania and other bodies.
During the War he visited Canada and the United States on behalf of the Government, and at this time, too, he founded, in association with the late Rt. Hon. George Roberts and Mr. H. Scholey, C.B.E., the Industrial League for the promotion of permanent industrial peace.
After the War he resumed his consulting practice; his death occurred on 27th March 1928.
He became a Member of the Institution in 1911 and he was also a Member of the Institutions of Civil and Electrical Engineers.