Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,937 pages of information and 233,602 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The London and Croydon Railway (L&C) - a conventional railway with an Atmospheric Railway experiment.
The company was incorporated in 1835
1839 June 5th. The line to West Croydon opened. Much of the route follows the alignment of the former Croydon Canal, which was closed by Act of Parliament in 1836. West Croydon railway and bus stations stand on the site of the old canal basin.
1839 The London and Croydon Railway started to run into their own station at London Bridge on 5 June; this had a wooden trussed pitched roof, 56 ft by 212 ft, and was situated just to the north of the London and Greenwich Railway's station.
1840 the line had stations at New Cross, Dartmouth Arms, Sydenham, Anerley, Jolly Sailor near Beulah Spa and that part of Norwood. Fares ranged from 1s 9d to 1s 3d for a one-way journey.
1840 Because of the relative positions of their lines, the "Greenwich" company and the "Croydon" company agreed to swap stations at London Bridge.
1844 The swapping of stations was implemented.
1845 The "Croydon" inaugurated the atmospheric system of propulsion; it worked for about a year but was not a success, so the pipes were removed,. The stationary engine-house still remains at Forest Hill railway station and the West Croydon pumping station was relocated to form part of the Surrey Street waterworks building, which still exists.