Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 149,270 pages of information and 234,239 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Read the series of articles about The London and North Western Railway from One Hundred Years of British Railways in The Engineer here:
The London and North Western Railway (LNWR) was a railway company that existed between 1846 and 1922 and is an ancestor of today's West Coast Main Line. It was created by the merger of three railway companies: -
1846 The London and North Western Railway was incorporated under its present title.
1862 The Southern Division was amalgamated with the Northern Division; the decision was taken to concentrate locomotive work at Crewe.
1875 See 1875 Number of Locomotives where they are listed first with 2,019 locomotives
1888 See Locomotive Stock June 1888 where they are listed first with 2,323 locomotives.
1907 Gained permission to widen the line between Euston and Watford
1908 The line is 1,719 miles in length, while 114 miles are partly owned. 
c.1909 New lines built from Euston to Watford which would eventually be worked by electric trains
1912 The main line was widened between the western portal of Kensal Green tunnel and the northern end of Harrow Station
1913 Widening of the main line from north of Harrow to Bushey.
1920 Won the contract for shipping the Irish Mails between Holyhead and Kingstown
1923 Total route mileage was 2,667.5 miles
1923 The LNWR became a constituent of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) when the railways of Great Britain were merged in the grouping of 1923.
The LNWR's main engineering works were at Crewe Works (locomotives) and the Wolverton Works (which concentrated on carriages and wagons from 1877). The locomotive livery is described as 'blackberry black'.