Marine Steam Turbine Co
Predecessor to the Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Co.
1894 Founded by Charles Algernon Parsons to exploit the marine applications of his patent on the steam turbine. Parsons owned three-eighths of the company. This was a separate entreprise from his company working on electrical generation applications of the turbine, C. A. Parsons and Co.
The small company formed to investigate the application of the turbine to the propulsion of vessels also included Lord Rosse (Sir Charles' brother), Gerald Stoney, Mr. J. B. Simpson, Mr. Christopher Leyland, Mr. Norman Cookson, Mr. Campbell Swinton and others.
1897 Parsons' cousin Geoffrey joined the company
The Marine Steam Turbine Co built the famous turbine-powered vessel, Turbinia, which was sailed at speed through the Diamond Jubilee Royal Navy fleet review in June 1897 off Portsmouth, to demonstrate the great potential of the new technology. Today, Turbinia is housed in a purpose-built gallery at the Discovery Museum, Newcastle. See also Parsons Turbines: Early Examples
When the success of Turbinia had been established, a new and larger company was set up in Newcastle Upon Tyne, the Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Co, which bought the licence that Marine Steam Turbine Co held from Charles Parsons, the Turbinia, and all the tools and effects.
Sources of Information
- Obituary of Gerard Stoney
- The Times, 16 May 1898