Marshalls Flying School
Marshall's Flying School of Cambridge.
On this field they founded the Marshall's Flying School with a de Havilland Gipsy Moth biplane and Arthur Marshall as chief instructor.
- Managing Director: D. G. Marshall.
- Aircraft: Two D.H. Moth and one Puss Moth.
- Aerodrome: Fen Ditton, Cambridge.
- Office: 19 Jesus Lane, Cambridge.
1936 Land acquired for the Marshall's aerodrome, that later became Cambridge airport.
1937 Aeronautical engineers (air charter and instruction).
1938 the Air Ministry established No. 22 Elementary and Reserve Flying School at Cambridge under the management of Marshall's Flying School, to train Royal Air Force aircrew; the company rapidly established the school's reputation as the country's most productive. In all over 20,000 RAF pilots, instructors, and navigators were trained by Marshall.
1939 The Marshalls founded the Cambridge squadron of the Air Defence Cadet Corps
WWII Marshalls developed a revolutionary programme for training ab initio candidates as pilots and flying instructors; despite initial resistance Marshall persuaded the RAF in 1941 to accept his training method, which subsequently became the basis of RAF training.
1954 Sole concessionaires for Marshall Motor Bodies
Sources of Information
- 1933 Who's Who in British Aviation
- Mosquito by C. Martin Sharp and Michael J. F. Bowyer. Published by Crecy Books in 1995. ISBN 0-947554-41-6
- 1937 The Aeroplane Directory of the Aviation and Allied Industries
- Biography of Sir Arthur Marshall, ODNB