Moore and Wright
Moore and Wright of 12/28 Norton Lane, Meadowhead, Sheffield.
1906 Company founded by Frank Moore in Reed Street, Sheffield before moving to Trafalgar Street.
1930s Acquired Tyzack and Holmes.
1930 First M&W micrometers produced. Prior to this they sold Swiss-made Aureole micrometers under the brand 'Avia', along with other tools factored under the name 'Avia Steel & Tool Co'. Initially the M&W micrometers were made to the Aureole designs. The spindles were silver steel but the screwed portion was mild steel. The screw threads were cut on an Aureole thread milling machine and finished with a lathe tool. From 1932 the spindle and thread were made in one piece from KE637 steel. The threads were first milled using Holroyd thread milling machines, hardened, and ground using machines from the Coventry Gauge and Tool Co.
1938 Company was Moore and Wright (Sheffield) Ltd.
1940 Advert. Tools. 
1945 Company acquired by John Shaw and Sons
1945 Advert. Micrometers. 
1959 Moved to new site at Handsworth, Sheffield
1970 Bought by the James Neill Holdings
2000 Sold to Bower Metrology UK.
Sources of Information
- 'Moore and Wright of Sheffield' by David Eaton, Newcomen Links, December 2018
- Mechanical World Year Book 1940. Published by Emmott and Co of Manchester. Advert p137
- Mechanical World Year Book 1945. Published by Emmott and Co of Manchester. Advert p255