Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 149,270 pages of information and 234,239 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1890 Constructed Forth Banks Power Station in the city centre. This was the first power station in the world to generate electricity commercially using steam-turbine driven generators.
1902 The distribution area was expanded west to Newburn
1902 Built the Close Power Station near to Forth Banks station.
1902 Charles Parsons stepped down as managing director
1903 Built the Lemington Power Station
1904 Extension north to Benwell and Fenham.
1908 Built the Newburn power station. All of the stations built by the company used steam turbines built by C. A. Parsons and Co.
1932 One of only 3 supply companies in the region not to merge to form the North Eastern Electric Supply Co.
1948 Became part of the North Eastern Electricity Board on nationalisation of the UK's electrical supply industry.