Northampton Polytechnic Institute
The Northampton Institute in Clerkenwell, London
1894 Construction started on land presented by the Marquess of Northampton, very close to the centre of the British manufacturing optics industry.
1896 opened for classes.
The first principal was Dr Robert Mullineaux Walmsley, an electrical engineer with a keen interest in optics and a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers.
1898 it was the first institution to provide systematic educational courses in technical optics.
Later became the Northampton College of Advanced Technology
1967 Became the City University