Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,403 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Pigou, Wilks and Laurence"

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 3: Line 3:
 
1732 A gunpowder factory was founded at Dartford by Pyke and Edsall.
 
1732 A gunpowder factory was founded at Dartford by Pyke and Edsall.
  
1778 Following the bankruptcy of Edsall the factoruy was sold to Frederick Pigou and M. P. Andrews
+
1778 Following the bankruptcy of Edsall the factory was sold to Frederick Pigou and M. P. Andrews
  
 
Early 19th century the Dartford factory was being run by Pigou and Wilks.  
 
Early 19th century the Dartford factory was being run by Pigou and Wilks.  
  
The firm amalgamated with [[Charles Laurence and Son]] of Battle becoming Pigou, Wilks and Laurence.
+
The firm amalgamated with [[Charles Laurence and Son]] of Battle, becoming Pigou, Wilks and Laurence.
  
 
From 1890 gunpowder manufacture was supplemented by production of gun-cotton and (for a short
 
From 1890 gunpowder manufacture was supplemented by production of gun-cotton and (for a short
Line 16: Line 16:
 
Shortly afterwards black powder operations were closed down, with only gun-cotton surviving.  
 
Shortly afterwards black powder operations were closed down, with only gun-cotton surviving.  
  
From the 1920s the Dartford site was merely a ballistics and research station
+
From the 1920s the Dartford site was limited to serving as a ballistics and research station
  
 
1934 All activities ceased. The works was then sold.  
 
1934 All activities ceased. The works was then sold.  

Latest revision as of 17:54, 12 February 2018

of Dartford, Kent

1732 A gunpowder factory was founded at Dartford by Pyke and Edsall.

1778 Following the bankruptcy of Edsall the factory was sold to Frederick Pigou and M. P. Andrews

Early 19th century the Dartford factory was being run by Pigou and Wilks.

The firm amalgamated with Charles Laurence and Son of Battle, becoming Pigou, Wilks and Laurence.

From 1890 gunpowder manufacture was supplemented by production of gun-cotton and (for a short time) nitrocellulose flake.

1898 Curtis's and Harvey was incorporated to take over the businesses of certain firms and companies manufacturing black and smokeless military and blasting powders, including Curtis's and Harvey, John Hall and Son, Pigou, Wilks and Laurence. [1]

Shortly afterwards black powder operations were closed down, with only gun-cotton surviving.

From the 1920s the Dartford site was limited to serving as a ballistics and research station

1934 All activities ceased. The works was then sold.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
  • Archives of the British chemical industry, 1750-1914: a handlist. By Peter J. T. Morris and Colin A. Russell. Edited by John Graham Smith. 1988