The Pilsen lamp was developed by two Austrian engineers, Ludwig Piette and Franz Krizik, and was marketed in Britain by Henry Francis Joel. It had a complex regulating mechanism which used an iron core between two solenoids. The lamp was quite extensively used, and won a Gold Medal at the Paris Electrical Exhibition of 1881
1882 The Pilsen Joel and General Electric Light Co was formed as a public company to acquire the patents and rights to the Pilsen arc lamp, the Joel semi-incandescent light and the Gatehouse incandescent light. H. F. Joel was the electrical engineer of the company
1882 The Pilsen Electric Light could be seen in operation at High Holborn and Seven Sisters Road, London; estimates could be obtained from Pilsen-Joel and General Electric Light Co Ltd, Telegraph St, London EC.
1888 The company was "solvent if not prosperous"; an agreement was reached to sell it to one of the directors but this was challenged in court by other shareholders
1889 Liquidators were appointed for voluntary liquidation of the company.
Sources of Information
- IET Arc lamp exhibition 
- The Times, May 16, 1882
- The Standard, September 27, 1882
- The Times, Aug 25, 1888
- The Times Jan 11