Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,439 pages of information and 233,876 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Seaham Colliery

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 11:24, 11 September 2020 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

1822 Charles William Stewart, who later becane third marquess of Londonderry, married Frances Anne Emily Vane-Tempest; he took the surname Vane. He threw himself enthusiastically into his wife's coal concerns in County Durham, investing heavily in property, and recruiting the foremost mining viewer of his day, John Buddle, as his agent.

He commissioned the building of Seaham Harbour, exporting its first coal in 1831.

1840s Seaham Colliery was sunk. Seaton Colliery had been sunk by other proprietors.

1860s Seaton Colliery was taken over by Lord Londonderry, aiming to work the two pits as one concern.

1907 Owned by Londonderry Collieries

See Also


Sources of Information

  • Biography of Charles William Vane, third marquess of Londonderry (1778–1854), ODNB