Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,946 pages of information and 233,606 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Sheffield District Railway was a railway line in South Yorkshire with its main line running between Brightside Junction, on the Midland Railway's Sheffield to Rotherham line, and Treeton Junction, on the same company's Rotherham to Chesterfield line (The Old Road), where it formed a triangular junction. The company also had two short spurs; firstly from the Midland Railway's line at Grimesthorpe Junction to its own goods yard in East Coast Road and secondly to a large goods warehouse and yard adjacent to Tinsley West station. This warehouse was reached by a fairly steep incline as the warehouse was at road level. This connection also served Edgar Allen and Co's Imperial Steel Works. Several other short branch lines, all opened in 1903, left the line to serve the local industrial concerns including Cooper and Co., Hadfields Steel Foundry, William Jessop and Sons, Sanderson Brothers and Newbould and Woodhouse and Rixon. The longest branch line, over 1 mile in length, served Tinsley Park Colliery. 
The Sheffield and District's main line was 4.5 miles long (7 km) and had 2 stations, Tinsley Road, which was later was renamed Tinsley West and Catcliffe. The line was operated by the Great Central Railway although it had no physical connection with any other part of its system, "running powers" over other company's metals being used to reach the line and its facilities.
1896 The company was incorporated. 
Building of the line started on 20th November 1896 when the Duke of Norfolk cut the first sod. The line was opened 20th May 1900 by the Duke of Portland and was integrated into the LNER in 1923.
The line is now only used between Tinsley South Junction and Tinsley Yard, opened in 1965.