Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 149,257 pages of information and 234,233 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1894 Brighton Corporation took over provision of electricity for the town by acquiring the Brighton and Hove Electricity Supply Co and combining it with its own operation.
By 1899 it had been clear to Brighton Corporation that a new power station was needed in the town to cope with rising demand. A 10 acre site on the eastern arm of Shoreham Harbour at Southwick was acquired.
1902 Construction of the new station started under Arthur Wright,
1906 The new station was commissioned and the old plant in North Road closed in 1908.
The station would later be designated Brighton "A" power station.
1947 Construction started on a second station on the site, Brighton B Power Station, the first being put on standby. It was brought into operation from 1950.
c.1988 The power stations were demolished.