Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Spencer Crighton

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 14:25, 28 August 2015 by SharronN (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Spencer Crighton (1875-1938)

1938 Obituary [1]

SPENCER CRIGHTON had a lengthy experience of automatic stoking plant, and was for twelve years a director of Messrs. James Hodgkinson (Salford), Ltd., manufacturers of mechanical stokers and boiler plant equipment.

He was born at Ashton upon Mersey, Cheshire, in 1875, and at the age of 16 he became an apprentice in the Castlefield Iron Works of Messrs. Crighton and Sons, engineers and textile machinists, of Knot Mill, Manchester, where he served until 1896. Afterwards he entered the drawing office and in 1902 was made works manager. He then joined the Crystalline Company, Ltd., tile manufacturers, of Stourbridge, and was made manager for Manchester and the north of England.

Three years later he became manager, for the same district, to another firm of tile manufacturers, Messrs. Durolite, Ltd., of St. Helens. He began his association with Messrs. Hodgkinson in 1907 when he was appointed agent for Yorkshire and the north of England, and two years later he was transferred to the London district as engineer and chief representative. He was responsible for the installation of a large number of mechanical stokers, coal handling equipment, induced draught plants, and similar apparatus, and for carrying out efficiency tests on batteries of boilers. In 1914 he was made manager for London and the south of England and was elected to the board of directors in 1926.

He held this position until his death, which occurred on 21st December 1938. He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1920 and was transferred to Membership in 1935.

See Also


Sources of Information