Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,535 pages of information and 233,960 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Theobald's Road, London.
1935 Submarine Cables Ltd was formed by Siemens Brothers and Co and Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Co when, because of the Depression, there was insufficient work for the submarine cable divisions of the 2 companies.
1935 Private company.
1937 First cables laid between England and Holland. Stockpiling of cables for World War 2 provided a substantial amount of work.
After WWII, the company was involved in the manufacture of many of the new co-axial telephone cables, much at the newly built factory at Erith.
1959 British Insulated Callender's Cables (BICC) acquired Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Co and in so doing acquired 50% of Submarine Cables Ltd. From that date much of the submarine cable work was undertaken by Submarine Cables Ltd whilst other departments, such as power cables, were absorbed by BICC. Another section which was transferred to Submarine Cables was that which manufactured and installed cable laying equipment on cable ships.
1961 Manufacturers of plastic insulated submarine telecommunication cables and submerged repeaters.