in Victoria, Australia
Described as one of Australia's finest early bridges. Built in 1858-1862 to carry the Bendigo line over Back Creek. There were five 39.6m spans of wrought iron box girders, joined to make them continuous over the five spans. Intermediate steel trestle reports were added c.1933. The height above the water was 35m.
The overall design work was taken over by Captain Andrew Clarke, R. E., Surveyor-General of Victoria, with the bridge designs completed by William Edward Bryson and William O'Hara. The ironwork was made by Rowland Brotherhood of Chippenham, under the supervision of Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
Early photograph here.
Sources of Information
- 'Spanning Two Centuries - Historic Bridges of Australia' by Colin O'Connor, University of Queensland Press, 1985
-  Wikipedia entry