Thomas Morris (c.1754-1832) was an architect and engineer.
1784 he supervised the building of a dock at Glasson, on the River Lune.
1789 Became Engineer to the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, succeeding Henry Berry. He completed just one dock during his tenure, Queen's Dock, and this suffered retaining wall failures and silting problems during its lifetime. Morris's father, also named Thomas, had worked for James Brindley. Thomas Jr. was succeeded at Liverpool Docks by John Foster (1758-1827).
While at Liverpool Morris was consulted regarding more docks at Glasson.
Morris then returned to Liverpool where he provided advice on sluices for the Rhuddlan Embankment Commissioners
1803 Appointed resident engineer at the West India Docks
1804 Took on the additional responsibility of Surveyor to the Docks
1811 Retired and returned to Liverpool
1819 Remarried to Bathsheba (who died in 1840).
1832 Thomas Morris, age 78, of St James Street, Liverpool was buried in the Low Hill Cemetery, Everton
A different Thomas Morris (possibly Thomas Morris (1786-1841)) worked on the construction of All Saints Church in Poplar 1821-3
After his death he was buried at the church he helped build.
Sources of Information
- 'The Liverpool Dock Engineers' by Adrian Jarvis, Alan Sutton Publishing Ltd, 1996, pp.11-12
- Cemetery records
-  Wikipedia
- A Biographical Dictionary of Civil Engineers in Great Britain and Ireland by A W. Skempton