Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,337 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Winchester House, Peckham, London
1847 Company founded by Thomas Tilling (1825-1893)
1851 Thomas Tilling started running horse-buses from Peckham.
1897 The company was registered to take over the business of job-masters, cab and omnibus proprietors, carried on under the same title. Horse omnibuses were gradually being replaced by motor omnibuses.  Became a public company.
1911 Directory lists the company at Rosewell Avenue, High street, Peckham SE and Molesworth Street, Lewisham SE and as 'motor car repairers and garages'. 
By 1912 Tillings had successfully motorized its bus services; entered into a pooling agreement with the London General Omnibus Co, which limited its motor bus fleet to 150. As a consequence it moved into provincial bus operations.
1916 Began to develop a series of 'area agreements' to regulate competition between the Tilling subsidiary businesses and those of the British Electric Traction company.
1921 Frederick Heaton joined the board of the company.
1928 Increase in capital of British Automobile Traction Co to allow it to acquire the interests in omnibus undertaking of British Electric Traction Co and Thomas Tilling; company name changed to Tilling and British Automobile Traction Co.
Under Heaton's direction, Tillings acquired a number of businesses which were not put into joint ownership with BET.
1942 The shareholders of Tilling and British Automobile Traction Co agreed to split the company into 2, owned by the major shareholders. These would be named B.E.T. Omnibus Services Ltd (to be owned by British Electric Traction Co) and Tilling Motor Services Ltd (to be owned by Thomas Tilling). Tilling and British Automobile Traction Co would then be liquidated..
1948 Formation of holding company.
1949 Started on a strategy of acquisition of family-owned businesses; these were purchased without resort to enforced take-overs; later the strategy was restricted to acquisitions where the company could obtain a majority holding.
1950 Acquired substantial interests in British Steam Specialties, maker of bronze and iron valves, and E. R. Holloway, maker of plastic powders; both became associated companies. Acquired a 60 percent interest in James A. Jobling and Co, which became the largest subsidiary.
1951 Acquired Mark Dawson and Son, worsted spinners of Bradford, which would be complementary to the company's interests in Timothy Hird and Sons; also acquired Stevensons (Dyers), and 60 percent interest in Newey and Eyre of Birmingham, electrical distributors.
1964 Exchange of subsidiaries with Courtaulds: Courtaulds acquired Spray and Burgass, dyers and finishers of Nottingham; Tillings acquired J. Walton (Electrical), a subsidiary of Lancashire Cotton Corporation.
1978 Acquired Liner Concrete Machinery Co.
By 1983 Thomas Tilling included: