Thomas and William Smith
of Guildhall, and St Lawrence Newcastle-on-Tyne; the rope making part of T. and W. Smith
1782 Company established.
1850 Thos and Wm Smith, rope manufacturers, St Lawrence; ship builders St Peters Dock, New Dock, North Shields; merchants, 2 Broad Chare.
1864 The prospectus was announced for a new company Alliance Ship-Owning and Ship-Building Co which would absorb the business and the fleet of long established Indian and Eastern trader Thomas and William Smith and the freehold dockyard in Limehouse of Messrs Young, Son and Magnay. Existing owners would have shares in the new entreprise. All of the Assets were fully engaged
1869 The Graving Dock at North Shields occupied by Messrs Thomas and William Smith was advertised to be let
1889 Wire-rope making. T. and W. Smith of St. Lawrence Ropery, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
1898 Thomas and William Smith, rope manufacturers, St Lawrence; offices 11 Queen St.
Sources of Information
- Ward's Northumberland & Durham Directory, 1850
- The Standard, April 18, 1864
- The Newcastle Courant October 1, 1869
- The Newcastle Weekly Courant, July 20, 1889
- Ward's Directory of Newcastle-on-Tyne, 1898
- 1914 Whitakers Red Book
- Lost Industries of the Tyne by Alan Morgan, Ken Smith and Tom Yellowley. Published 2013. ISBN 978 1 85795 216 2
- National Archives