Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,404 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Twrch Aqueduct

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 08:37, 7 May 2017 by JohnD (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
JD Twrch01.jpg
Note central spillway from canal. The original upstream cutwaters were triangular, but were replaced by more substantial rounded ones

at Ystalyfera

Aqueduct of three segmental arches immediately above a weir which carried the Swansea Canal over the Afon Twrch. Designed by Thomas Sheasby and completed in 1798. Immediately below the aquueduct the river falls over a weir ~13 ft high. On the north-east side is a circular culvert which took water from the tailrace of a nearby fulling mill.[1]

Note: The remains of Ynyscedwyn Ironworks can be seen nearby.

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. 'Civil Engineering Heritage: Wales & West Central England' by R. Cragg, Thomas Telford Publishing, 2nd edition 1997