Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Upper Bank Copperworks"

From Graces Guide
 
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:JD_Middle_Bank01.jpg |thumb|Boundary marker displayed at [[Swansea Museum]]]]
[[Image:JD_Middle_Bank01.jpg |thumb|Boundary marker displayed at [[Swansea Museum]]]]


1757 The Upper Bank Works were established at Llansamlet by [[Chauncey Townsend]] on the bank of the River Tawe. He smelted lead and zinc at these works.
1757 The Upper Bank Works were established at Llansamlet on the bank of the River Tawe by [[Chauncey Townsend]] in partnership with his son in law, John Smith. They smelted lead and zinc at these works.


Later the works were used to smelt copper ores.
Later the works were used to smelt copper ores.

Latest revision as of 15:31, 7 September 2020

Boundary marker displayed at Swansea Museum

1757 The Upper Bank Works were established at Llansamlet on the bank of the River Tawe by Chauncey Townsend in partnership with his son in law, John Smith. They smelted lead and zinc at these works.

Later the works were used to smelt copper ores.

1794 Pascoe Grenfell went into partnership with Owen Williams to buy Cornish ores, primarily to supply the Williams' Middle and Upper Bank smelting works in Swansea.

1829 Owen Williams withdrew from the business with Grenfell; as a result the family firm of Pascoe Grenfell and Sons was formed to continue the Middle and Upper Bank Copper Works in the Lower Swansea Valley; at their height these works employed 800 men.

1892 Late this year, Williams, Foster and Co took over the copper-smelting business of Pascoe Grenfell and Sons. [1], acquiring the Middle Bank Copper Works and the Upper Bank Spelter Works.

1928 The works closed but were later used as part of a munitions factory.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908