Upper Bank Copperworks
1757 The Upper Bank Works were established at Llansamlet by Chauncey Townsend on the bank of the River Tawe. He smelted lead and zinc at these works.
Later the works were used to smelt copper ores.
1829 Owen Williams withdrew from the business with Grenfell; as a result the family firm of Pascoe Grenfell and Sons was formed to continue the Middle and Upper Bank Copper Works in the Lower Swansea Valley; at their height these works employed 800 men.
1928 The works closed but were later used as part of a munitions factory.
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908