Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,884 pages of information and 232,615 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Shipbuilders, of Sunderland and Middlesbrough
1847 W. Harkess operated a shipyard at North Shore, Sunderland between 1847 and 1857.
1853 The company was established in 1853 by William Harkess for the building of coasters, trawlers and small colliers.
1857 He moved south to establish a yard at Middlesbrough, building ships there between 1863 and 1922.
1900s The yard made six small tramps. In addition a small ship and many coasters were also manufactured.
WWI The yard made minesweepers and patrol boats for the Admiralty, along with some standard "WAR" coasters.
1920 The yard made its largest vessels Flaminian and Pedrosa for a Spanish company.
1922 The yard made its last coaster and went out of business due to the Freight slump.
1923 The Middlesbrough yard of William Harkess and Sons was acquired by Cleveland Shipbuilding Co, a subsidary of Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Co, together with the adjoining yard of Sir Raylton Dixon and Co.