William Edward Chew
William Edward Chew (c1877-1944)
1946 Obituary 
WILLIAM EDWARD CHEW, who was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1921, retained a close connection with engineering in the Manchester district during practically the whole of his professional career.
He served his apprenticeship with Mr. A. H. Burgess, machine tool maker, from 1893 to 1897, and at the same time attended the Manchester Technical School. He then became an assistant to the late Mr. A. Hollins, consulting engineer, but three years later joined his father's firm, Messrs. W. E. Chew, Ltd., where he was chiefly concerned with consulting and structural work.
After being engaged in business on his own account as a motor engineer for nine years he received in 1912 an appointment as head engineer to Messrs. Robert Gibson and Sons, manufacturing chemists, and began a connection which altogether lasted for twenty-one years, except for an interruption in his service, from 1916 to 1918, during which he was foreman in the gun department of the National Ordnance Factory at Leeds.
Mr. Chew's last position, which he had held since 1937, was that of approved examiner for the Record Electrical Company of Westminster. His death occurred in his sixty-seven year on 22nd October 1944.