Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,439 pages of information and 233,876 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

William John Cecil Redford Salmon

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 14:33, 21 May 2016 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

William John Cecil Redford Salmon (1876-1952)

1953 Obituary [1]

WILLIAM JOHN CECIL REDFORD SALMON. M.B.E., who was born at Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 1876, was educated privately and at University College, London.

He served an apprenticeship between 1894 and 1899 with the Nordenfeldt Gun and Ammunition Company, Ltd., Erith, Kent, John Penn and Sons, Greenwich, and Vickers, Sons and Maxim, Ltd., Erith. He continued in the employment of the last firm at Barrow-in-Furness for a further eleven years, occupying in succession the positions of designer, assistant manager, and senior sub manager. In the last capacity he was in charge of the production of all equipment for the Corps of the Royal Artillery, including Maxim guns and rifles.

He was next engaged at the New South Wales and Commonwealth Government Dockyard as a supervisor of the output of gun mountings, turbines, and plant generally.

On his return to England in 1915 he joined the staff of the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, as an assistant inspector of carriages; subsequently he was promoted to the grade of inspector and after experience in the United States occupied the same position in the north- west of England.

In 1919 he began a connexion with Sir W. G. Armstrong, Whitworth and Company, Ltd., which lasted until the firm was taken over by the Government in 1937. During this long period he was actively engaged as technical and commercial manager at the London office.

After being in business on his own account for three years he rejoined the staff at Woolwich Arsenal as an inspector of carriages, and finally, in 1943, he became attached to the Ministry of Supply as inspector of carriages at Newcastle upon Tyne.

Mr. Salmon, whose death occurred on 6th February 1952, was elected a Member of the Institution in 1923.

See Also


Sources of Information