William Simons and Co
William Simons and Co Ltd, ship and dredger builders, of Renfrew, Scotland. W. Simons and Co built engines for ships.
1819 The Fingal was built by the company in Greenock; it had 100 horse-power engine, of 202 tons, for the Belfast trade.
1822 William Simons was born
After William Simons had succeeded to a share in the business, he transferred the yard to Whiteinch.
c.1860 The business moved again to London Works, Renfrew.
1860 Andrew Brown became a partner in the business.
The business then concentrated on making dredgers.
1886 Andrew Brown became the controlling partner of William Simons and Co, a major dredger builder. Andrew Brown managed the yard along with William Simons, Junior and Walter Simons; he was a respected designer of dredging equipment. Brown's innovations led to a long association with the Clyde Navigation Trust.
1888 Built the steel screw steamer 'Trieste C'. 
1889 See 1889 Shipbuilding Statistics for detail of the tonnage produced.
1895 the business was converted into a private limited company
1900 The business was constituted as a limited-liability company, Mr. Brown becoming managing director.
1900 Stern Well Hopper Dredger. Details and illustration in The Engineer.  The company was registered on 11 December, to acquire the business of shipbuilders and engineers of a company of the same name. 
1901 First minute books and ledgers in archive.
1925 See Aberconway for information on shipbuilding h.p produced in 1904 and 1925.
1959 Formation of Simons-Lobnitz
Sources of Information
- L. A. Ritchie, The Shipbuilding Industry: A Guide to Historical Records (1992)
- John Shields, Clyde Built: A history of Shipbuilding on the River Clyde (1949)
- Fred M. Walker, Song of the Clyde: A History of Clyde Shipbuilding (2001)