William Wearing (1849-1908)
1909 Obituary 
WILLIAM WEARING, son of the late Mr. John Wearing, born at Kirkby Lonsdale on the 22nd November, 1849, was educated at Kirby Lonsdale and Heversham Grammar Schools and subsequently became articled with Messrs. Garlick, Park and Sykes, civil engineers, of Preston. On completing his apprenticeship, he was engaged by the firm as chief assistant engineer and remained in their service for about 30 years, during which time he was employed on many important public and private engineering works in Lancashire and Westmorland.
On the death of Mr. Edward Garlick in January, 1900, Mr. Wearing succeeded him in the appointment of engineer to the Fylde Water Board, whose district of supply comprises nearly 200 square miles and includes the towns of Blackpool, Fleetwood, Lytham and St. Anne's-on-the-Sea.
At the time of his death, which took place on the 8th December, 1908, Mr. Wearing was engaged in the construction of a large storage reservoir, greatly increasing the available water-supply.
He was elected an Associate Member of The Institution on the 4th December, 1888.