Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,487 pages of information and 233,925 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
copper and silver smelters, of Leadenhall Buildings, London, and works at Neath
1823 the Grenfell, Williams and Fox partnership took over the Rose Copper Works in the Swansea valley.
1828 Built the Morfa copper rolling mills. The site was adjacent to the Hafod works of Vivian and Sons with whom they amalgamated in 1924
1829 Lewis Fox withdrew from the partnership
By 1830 the firm had adopted the title Williams, Foster & Co.
1830 Grenfell, Williams and Foster established works which became famous as Williams Foster and Co.
Michael Williams became the leading partner in Williams, Foster and Co, with business activities in both England and Wales. Other partners were John Williams jr., William Williams and Colin Harvey, described as "merchants" of Cornwall; Samuel Stephens, Henry L. Stephens and Francis H. Rodd, "esquires" of Cornwall; Joseph T. Foster and Sampson Foster of Norwich; and John Sampson of Devon, "gentleman".
1833 Francis Rodd withdrew
1834 Williams, Foster and Co. built the Morfa Copper Works.
1835 John Michael Williams, son of Michael Williams, the senior partner, was admitted.
c.1835 Smelting probably started at Morfa around 1835.
1837 The partnership of Williams, Harvey & Co. for tin smelting in Cornwall was formed,
1840-4 Williams, Foster and Co were suppliers of copper to the Royal Mint
By 1861 the capital of Williams, Foster & Co. "in consequence of the large profits made" had increased to £ 750,000; and the withdrawal around this time of Richard Harvey whose holding amounted to £150,000 left the Williams interest in almost complete control.
1861-62, a family dispute led to the dissolution of Williams, Foster & Co., leaving John Michael Williams the sole proprietor of the Morfa works.
1880 Williams died "probably the most wealthy man in Cornwall".
The firm was first taken over by H. R. Merton and Co metal merchants in London
1888 The firm was transferred to a new company, Williams, Foster & Co. Ltd.
1888 The company was registered on 20 December.
1892 Late this year, the company took over the copper-smelting business of Pascoe Grenfell and Sons. , acquiring the Middle Bank Copperworks and the Upper Bank Spelter Works and forming Williams, Foster and Co and Pascoe Grenfell and Sons.