Wulfruna Engineering Co
of Great Brickkiln Street, Wolverhampton
c.1877 John Barratt started Wulfruna Cycles in St John's Square, Wolverhampton.
1889 Making dwarf safety bicycle, tricycle, etc
1896 Substantial expansion at Wulfruna Cycle Works, Melbourne Street.
1911 After the liquidation of Wearwell Cycle Co, William Clarke continued production of Wearwell bicycles by purchasing the ailing Wulfruna Cycles from John Barratt. He set about revitalising the business and reintroduced the Wearwell and Wolf names at new premises in Brickkiln Street.
1914 The production of cheap machines continued, as a 2.5h.p. Wolf was on sale for just 22 guineas (£23.10).
1920s A range of Wulfruna machines was available until the early 1920's, after which the company concentrated on its Wolf trademark.
1922 William Clarke died.
1928 The brothers Theo and G. A.Waine took over the Wearwell Cycle Co Ltd from the liquidators of the Wulfruna Engineering Co Ltd.
Sources of Information
- Wulfruna